At AV Unit we know how mind-boggling it can be cycling through menus trying to figure out how to get a lighting fixture to do something. So we can only imagine how frustrating it must be for our hire customers when they have to do the same. We will send out our fixtures pre-set and ready to plug and play, however, we understand that, even with the best planning, sometimes, you might want to change it. That’s why we are putting together a bunch of short instructional videos on how to do just that!
First on the agenda, one of our most commonly hired Lighting fixtures, the Showtec Compact par 7/15 Q4. An incredibly versatile and durable fixture with a wide range of applications from up-lighting the walls of your venue to adding some glam to your band. One of the easiest and cost-effective ways of adding just that little bit extra to make your event a night to remember!
SO…. WHAT CAN IT DO? HOW DOES IT WORK? WHERE CAN IT GO? LET’S START WITH SOME BASIC SPECS…
This fixture features 7 x 15W RGBW LEDs that combine to create a total output of 8950 lux @ 2m. To put that in comparison, your average living room light bulb puts out about 50 lux at the same distance, so…it’ss bright, but what about the beam angle? The unit has a tight 15° beam angle that keeps that light concentrated and going where you want it to. A great add-on also available for hire is the optional Gel frame and barn doors which can be used for creating wider dispersion with the addition of a Frost filter.
Before we can get into the fun stuff. We have to connect it all up. When hiring from us we will supply all the necessary cable and accessories you need to get yourself up and running.
This fixture is great for many reasons, but one of its best features is power linking. With the locking Powercon in/out on the rear of the fixture, you are able to connect up to 20 fixtures from one 13amp socket – leaving all the other sockets free for the important stuff!
Linking fixtures together is incredibly simple thanks to our combined Powercon/DMX cables, keeping everything simple, neat and tidy.
- Static – this mode does exactly what it says, a static colour, you have two sub-options in this menu.
1. Fixed colour – choose from one of 15 preset colours
2. Manual colour – create any colour within the RGBW colour spectrum using RGB Pantone references.
- Sound – this mode cycles through a selection of colours with the beat of the music using the in-built microphone, you can also adjust the sensitivity of the microphone within this menu
- Auto – in this mode you can select one of 4 auto options that do a selection of different things, you are also able to adjust the speed of the option you choose.
- DMX – This unit accepts full DMX 512 protocol in several different modes
1. 4 channel mode – Red, Green, Blue and White
2. 6 channel mode – Red, Green, Blue, White, master dimmer and strobe
3. 10 channel mode – master dimmer, Red, Green, Blue, White, RGBW fade, strobe, colour effects, speed adjustment for effects and dimmer speed
With the addition of a DMX cable, you are able to utilise the master-slave function. This function allows you to set multiple lights at the same time by simply telling the first fixture to become a master. The other (slave) fixtures in the line will then mimic what the first fixture is doing.
PANTONE TO RGB CONVERSION
When manually colour mixing RGB, it can be really difficult to get the correct shade, especially if you are trying to match your branding. But don’t panic, all the hard work has been done for you. Using a pantone to HEX/RGB conversion chart you can easily match any colour to the RGB LED combination.
The Pantone colour matching system is a standardised colour reproduction system that many manufacturers use around the world. It’s a simple way of ensuring that any colour can be reproduced across all formats.
So there you have it, all you should ever need to know about our showtec Compact par 7/15 Q4 LED wash fixture.
Please get in touch if you would like to hire this fixture, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01473 705205.